Connect with us

Crime

Detectives Seek Public’s Help To Identify Additional Sexual Assault Victims

Published

on

Crime LAPD Slider

Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Mission Area Division detectives are asking for the public’s help in providing any information that will lead to additional sexual assault victims.

Detectives investigated after several victims came forward with allegations of being sexually molested by Juan Ramon Sanchez, according to the LAPD.

The incidents occurred between June and December of 1994 in the Mission Hills Area. Two additional victims of Sanchez were identified and lived in Lancaster in 2002 at the time of the incidents, investigators said.

On Feb. 16, the Los Angeles County District Attorney filed 26 Felony counts against Sanchez which included lewd acts upon a child, oral copulation, sodomy of a person under 14 years old, and continuous sexual abuse, according to the department.

An extradition warrant was filed for his arrest. On Feb. 24, 2021, Las Vegas Metro Police Department arrested Sanchez on the extradition warrant and he was extradited back to Los Angeles. He is currently being held on $3.1 million bail.

Photo Courtesy of the LAPD

It is believed that Sanchez molested other juvenile victims when he lived in the Mission Hills and Lancaster areas, according to investigators.

Sanchez would invite minors into his residence and sexually abuse them. His victims included runaway juveniles and possible foster children who lived at the residence, police said.

His victims ranged in age from 2-years-old to 17-years-old and were all male. Sanchez was also known to babysit and may have victimized additional children.

Detectives are asking anyone who may be a victim or has additional information regarding Juan Sanchez to contact Mission Area Sexual Assault Unit Detective Stieglitz at (818) 838-9804, Detective Malinowski (818) 838-9971, or Detective Steward (818) 838-9975.

During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-527-3247. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or visit here.

Crime

Chiropractors Charged In $2.5 Million Auto Insurance Fraud, Kickback Scheme

Published

on

Los Angeles Courtroom-2

A dozen chiropractors have been charged in a $2.5 million insurance fraud and illegal kickback scheme involving automobile collision medical claims.

The scheme’s alleged ringleader, Yury Chernega, 49, of Studio City, faces four counts each of the aforementioned charges as well as one count of money laundering, according to Pamela Johnson, spokesperson for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The charges include allegations of taking more than $500,000 from about 30 insurance companies through fraud and embezzlement.

“Defrauding insurance companies is a serious crime that costs all of us in the form of higher premiums,” District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement. “We will continue to work with local, state and federal regulators to protect consumers from financial crimes.”

Prosecutors have charged the defendants with nine felony counts, including insurance fraud and participating in patient referral rebates when licensed in the healing arts or as a chiropractor, according to the D.A.’s Office. 

Three other San Fernando Valley residents were arrested in connection to the scheme including Bruce Householder, of Burbank, Alexander Royzman, of Granda Hills, and Payam Shayan, of Tarzana.

Canyon Country resident Luzan Madain was also charged with the alleged fraud, according to prosecutors. 

From 2014 through 2019, Chernega allegedly offered to refer new patients to other chiropractors in return for an illegal referral fee, through which he collected about $2.5 million, prosecutors said. The patients allegedly had been involved in automobile collisions. 

The defendants also are accused of filing false claims for medical services they never provided. The case stems from an ongoing case involving Chernega and 14 additional chiropractors filed in 2019. 

The case remains under investigation by the District Attorney’s Auto Insurance Fraud Division and Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the California Department of Insurance, the California Franchise Tax Board, the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners and the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Arraignment for all but one defendant has been scheduled for June 29 in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. Arraignment for Royzman is expected to take place the following week. 

Continue Reading

Crime

Tujunga Man Charged With Domestic Violence Kidnapping, Murder Of Good Samaritan

Published

on

North Hollywood Shooting Kidnapping
Devon Miller / The Valley Post

A Tujunga man has been charged with kidnapping his ex-girlfriend and fatally shooting a man who tried to intervene in North Hollywood. 

Shane Winfield Rayment, 37, faces one felony count each of murder, kidnapping, criminal threats, injuring a girlfriend, first-degree residential burglary with person present and possession of a firearm by a felon, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón. 

“It’s especially tragic when a good Samaritan becomes a victim,” Gascón said in a statement.  “I send my heartfelt condolences to his family. Mr. Fletes will always be remembered for his heroic actions on behalf of another.”

On June 6, Rayment went to the North Hollywood home where his ex-girlfriend was staying and struggled with her when Roberto Conjeo Fletes attempted to intervene, prosecutors said. Rayment is accused of fatally shooting Fletes, 42, before fleeing with her. 

The woman was found on June 8 during a traffic stop in Hemet and Rayment was arrested. 

Hemet officers conducted a felony traffic stop and took Rayment into custody without incident.  

“The victim of the kidnapping, Jenny Downes, was discovered in the vehicle, battered and bruised, but alive,” investigators said.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Continue Reading

Crime

Detectives Investigating Deadly Sun Valley Shooting

Published

on

Police Lights Crash

Detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Valley Bureau Homicide are investigating a fatal Sun Valley shooting.

On June 9, about 11 p.m., LAPD Foothill patrol officers responded to the report of an assault with a deadly weapon on the 7900 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard in Sun Valley, according to the department in a statement.

Moments later, a second radio call was received just a few blocks down Laurel Canyon Boulevard for a traffic collision involving a 2021 Land Rover.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was involved in a dispute that ended in a shooting. 

The victim drove away from the scene and collided with parked vehicles on the 7600 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard, according to detectives. 

Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics responded and transported the victim to a local hospital where he died during surgery.   

The victim is described as a 43-year-old, male from Los Angeles. The identity has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

As of Thursday, there are no suspects identified, according to the LAPD.

Anyone with additional information is urged to call Detective Steve Castro, Valley Bureau Homicide, at (818) 374-1925.  During non-business hours, or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-527-3247.  

Those wishing to remain anonymous should call the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or go directly here.

Continue Reading

Stay Connected

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending