Connect with us

Fire

Structure Fire Knocked Down In La Tuna Canyon

Published

on

La Tuna Canyon Fire
Photo Courtesy of the LAFD

A “well-involved” structure fire was knocked down in La Tuna Canyon Tuesday evening.

The incident was called in just before 8 p.m. Tuesday on the 8600 block of La Tuna Canyon, according to Margaret Stewart, spokesperson for the Los Angeles Fire Department. 

Upon arrival, firefighters reported a well-involved structure fire that is starting to move into the brush, Stewart said.

Firefighters initiated an offensive operation to stop the fire from progressing in the brush while LAFD Air Ops is responding with water-dropping helicopters, according to Stewart.

The L.A. County Fire Department and Verdugo Fire Department are also responding to the blaze, according to the spokesperson.

At 8:25 p.m., Stewart reported the fire had minimal “current brush involvement,” after the assistance of Air Ops helicopters. 

All occupants of the home were reported safely out prior to LAFD arrival, according to fire officials.

By 9 p.m., knockdown was declared with 61 firefighters working from both the ground and the air to extinguish a well-involved 3,000 square-foot hillside home, according to Stewart.

One occupant of the home is being evaluated for any necessary treatment or transport, according to the LAFD.

Note: This is a breaking news story, more information will be added as it becomes available. 

Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Megan & Dave

    March 27, 2021 at 11:33 am

    I lived at that house with my boyfriend Dave. The fire was caused by a battery that shorted and it was on the bed…caught the mattress on fire first and then made its way thru our whole home. We were both gone and weren’t able to get ANY of our things. We lost our cats too and they were our kids! We just want them back…By the time Dave saw the house when he got home, it was too late. We are devastated. Please if you don’t mind, can you please put our go fund me link on your article??? We lost litteraly EVERYTHING and we need help starting completely over. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fire

Agua Dulce Brush Fire Breaks Out Near Sierra Highway

Published

on

Brush Fire

An Agua Dulce brush fire broke out near Sierra Highway Monday afternoon, with firefighters stopping forward progress on the blaze.

The incident, dubbed the Winery Fire, was reported at about 12:03 p.m. Monday near Sierra Highway and Agua Dulce Canyon Road, according to Sean Ferguson with the Los Angeles County Fire Department. 

Upon arrival, firefighters reported about a quarter-acre fire in light to medium brush. A full first alarm assignment is en route to battle the blaze, according to Ferguson.

By 12:45 p.m., firefighters declared forward progress stopped on the fire, according to department officials.

“Units will remain on-scene for the next hour mopping up hot spots,” fire officials said. “Mapping in progress to determine fire size.”

No structures were threatened by the fire.

Note: This is a breaking news story, more information will be added as it becomes available.

Continue Reading

Fire

Fire Breaks Out In Structure At Oak Tree Gun Club With Ammunition Inside

Published

on

Brush Fire

A fire has broken out in a structure at Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall with live ammunition inside. 

The incident was reported at about 7:13 p.m. Thursday near the 23100 block of Coltrane Avenue, according to Supervisor Imy McBride with the Los Angeles County Fire Department. 

“It was reported at Oak Tree Gun Club,” McBride said. “There is ammunition on fire.”

The blaze has spread to the surrounding “heavy brush,” burning about 1.5 acres, according to officials with the City of Santa Clarita.

Just before 8 p.m., firefighters stopped forward progress on the brush fire and declared knockdown of the storage building, said Supervisor Michael Pittman with L.A. County Fire.

Deputies with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station have responded to the incident and are advising residents to avoid the area.

There have been no injuries reported in connection to the fire.

Note: This is a breaking news story, more information will be added as it becomes available.

Continue Reading

Fire

Couple Tries To Rebuild After Losing Six Cats, All Belongings In La Tuna Canyon House Fire

Published

on

La Tuna Canyon Fire
Photo Courtesy of the LAFD

A San Fernando Valley couple is trying to rebuild after their six cats died and all belongings were destroyed in a La Tuna Canyon house fire on Wednesday. 

When David Ferrera was returning home last week, his whole life changed. 

Ferrera saw his home engulfed in flames. The first thought that went through his head was not the property or his belongings, it was the six Bengal cats inside. 

“They weren’t just pets, they were family,” Ferrera said. “It was devastating.” 

Firefighters initiated an offensive operation to stop the fire from progressing in the brush while water-dropping helicopters battled the blaze from the air. 

By the time the fire was extinguished, it was too late. All six cats had died and everything inside the home was destroyed. 

“It all just happened so fast. In a moment, everything was gone,” he said. “You can replace the belongings, but we can never get our cats back.” 

Courtesy Photo

Megan Turner, Ferrera’s longtime girlfriend who lived with him at the home, was at the post office when she received a call notifying her of the incident. 

Turner said the cats were like their own children, adding she is still heartbroken about what had happened. 

The couple believes the cause of the fire was a lithium battery from a laptop that was charging on their bed. The battery overheated, causing their mattress, then the entire home, to catch on fire. 

“We literally have the clothes that we were wearing the night our house burnt, but that’s all,” Turner said. 

As residents of La Tuna Canyon, the couple has previously been impacted by fires, with several brush fires moving into the area in recent years. 

However, nothing has impacted their lives as much as that night. 

“We have had fires go right up to our house before,” Ferrera said. “In one, some of our outside property was damaged, but nothing like this.”

Courtesy Photo

With their house destroyed, the couple is now living out of a car on the property, waiting for the insurance company to “stop dragging their feet.”

“It might take months for us to get anything from the insurance company. Until then, we are just waiting,” Ferrera said. 

The American Red Cross was able to offer some assistance, but it has not been enough to support them long term. 

“You never know what you have until you lose it,” he said. “Simple things like cooking a meal are hard now.”

The couple is trying to raise funds to establish more permanent housing for the coming months until the insurance settlement is allocated. 

“It still almost feels like a dream, it does not feel real,” Ferrera said. “Anything you can do to help is very appreciated.” 

To donate, visit the GoFundMe page. Residents are also able to provide meals here

Continue Reading

Stay Connected

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending